Mesa Journeys



Forms and petitions

There are a variety of forms and petitions to address student's various academic needs.  Many forms are not available for download, as they require meeting with a counselor or faculty member to determine eligibility or the appropriateness of the request. *Forms & Petitions below are listed in alphabetical order.

Academic Renewal

Academic renewal is a means whereby a student may have prior college work excluded from current grade point average. In all cases of academic renewal, the original courses and grades will remain on the transcript with a code in the reference column that indicates academic renewal has been applied to those courses. Once the petition is approved, action is not reversible. Note: A student may only earn three symbols (A, B, C, D, F, P, NP, W) in a course. Below are the two types of Academic Renewal.

1. Academic Renewal by Course Repetition:
A student who receives a substandard grade (“D” or “F” or “NP”) in a course may repeat that course three times and have a new grade(s) replace the substandard grade(s) in the district's computation of a student's GPA. The course being repeated must be the same name as the original course, not its equivalent.

Registration into a course in which two grades of “D” or “F” or “NP” has already been received will be permitted by MySDCCD for the first and second repeat of the course. No petition is necessary. At the end of the semester, the academic renewal will automatically be processed and the student's academic record will be annotated to indicate academic renewal.


  • No course in which a “C” or better grade has been earned may be repeated.
  • Students will not be allowed more than four enrollments in similar active participatory courses in Physical Education and Visual and Performing Arts, regardless of grade or symbol earned.
  • Academic renewal is not allowed for work experience courses.
  • Each course in which an unsatisfactory grade (“D,”“F,” or “NP”) has been earned may be repeated twice without a petition. The course being repeated must be the same as the original course, not its equivalent. Only the newly-earned units and grades will be used in computing the grade point average.
  • Students will not be allowed more than three enrollments in any course, regardless of grade or symbol earned.

Procedures to Petition for Course Repetition:

  • Students should first meet with a counselor to review eligibility for Academic Renewal and then complete the petition.
  • After students have met with a counselor and have accepted they have taken and repeated coursework in the past for which academic renewal has not been done, should submit a Petition for Academic Renewal by Course Repetition in the Evaluations Office.
  • If the petition is approved, the student's academic record will be annotated to indicate academic renewal
  • Students who would like to repeat a course for a fourth time in which a "D” or “F” or “NP” or "W" was earned three times a “, must submit a petition for Exception to Course Repetition Policy. See the Academic Review Committee page for details on submitting the petition.

2. Academic Renewal Without Course Repetition:
Please meet with a counselor to obtain the Petition for Academic Renewal Without Course Repetition. Counselor signature is required.

View Policy AP 3910.4 here.

A student with a semester of substandard academic performance that is not reflective of present demonstrated ability may petition to have the substandard semester disregarded in computation of grade point average.

  • Students with degrees or certificates: Course(s)/Semester/Session prior to earning a degree or certificate are not eligible for academic renewal.
  • A maximum of one semester/session or 12 units, whichever is greater can be disregarded.

Requirements for consideration:

  • Course(s)/Semester/Session must be substandard (below 2.0 GPA). 
  • Transcripts from all institutions attended must be officially on file.
  • Successfully complete, in a regionally accredited college or university, 15 units with a GPA of at least 2.0 subsequent to the coursework to be disregarded. All courses taken during the semester/session in which the student reaches or exceeds the 15 unit minimum will be used in computing the 2.0 GPA.
  • One year must have elapsed since the most recent coursework to be disregarded was completed.


  1. Students must see a counselor to complete the Petition for Academic Renewal Without Course Repetition form.
  2. The student files a completed Petition for Academic Renewal Without Course Repetition in the Evaluations Office.
  3. An Evaluator will determine whether all conditions for academic renewal without course repetition have been met. These conditions are listed on the back of the petition.
  4. If the petition is approved the student's academic record will be annotated to indicate academic renewal for the appropriate term(s).
  5. Students will be sent a copy of the petition indicating the decision after the process is completed.

Apply for Graduation

Are you planning to earn a Degree and/or Certificate of Achievement? If so, please note that receiving your degree/certification is not automatic. Students must Apply for Graduation in order to process and receive an AA/AS degree or Certificate of Achievement. Students can Apply for Graduation online through their portal: under the "My Academics" tab, located on the left-hand side of your student dashboard. Students should apply for graduation a during their last year of completing their AA/AS degree and/or Certificate of Achievement.Be sure to meet all deadlines when Applying to Graduate.

Need assistance applying for your degree/certificate? Watch the tutorial here:

To learn more about graduating, see the Graduation section for details.

Certificate of Performance

A Certificate of Performance recognizes the attainment of knowledge and/or skill through the successful completion of two or more courses as specified by a department. Certificates of Performance are designed to prepare students for employment, job enhancement and/or job advancement. To qualify for the Certificate of Performance, students must satisfy the requirements and follow the procedures listed below:


  • Achieve a grade of "C" or better in each of the required courses.
  • Complete all required course work in the San Diego Community College District.
  • Course substitutions or course equivalencies from other colleges may not be used to satisfy Certificate of Performance requirements. For additional information please see a counselor.

Procedures: All coursework for the Certificate of Performance must be completed, and grades are posted, before a student can petition for their Certificates of Performance.

  • Student completes a Petition for a Certificate of Performance in the Evaluation's Office.
  • The petition is processed by the Evaluations Office.
  • Student is contacted by phone or email when certificate is ready to be picked up.

Credit by Examination

Students who wish to receive credit for academic work completed in non-traditional ways or through non-educational sources may be able to obtain credit by taking and passing a departmental examination. (Policy 3900.1)

For a list of approved courses for Credit by Examination and the procedure, please click here. The list of approved courses is established by the Office of the Vice President of Instruction.

To learn more about the process, please call or visit the Evaluations Office.

Credit for Military Experiences

Policy 3900.3. Students who have completed at least six months of continuous active U.S. military service have fulfilled the following requirements:

  • 4 units of credit towards the Associate Degree: Health Education and Physical Education (2 courses) requirements
  • The California State University General Education Breadth Pattern (CSUGE) Area E requirement.

Credits for the requirements listed above are automatically posted to student's record upon receipt of Military transcripts.

Additionally, credit may be available for courses taken through the various branches of the military as recommended by A Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services published by the American Council on Education.

Additional Credit for Military Service: To receive additional credit for military service or military school students must be enrolled and, in most cases, must have an education plan on file.

  • Military credit cannot be used to satisfy the American Institutions requirement or the English Composition requirement.
  • Credit in the major must be approved by the department.
  • Contact the Veteran's Office or see a counselor to request additional credit for military service or school.

Credit for Standardized Tests

Policy 3900.4. Academic credit is available for students who take and pass, at the appropriate level, examinations offered through the following standardized tests:

  • Advanced Placement Examinations (AP)
  • College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
  • Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES), and
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)

For detailed information on tests scores and applicable credit, refer to the college catalog pages 74-92.

1. Student is currently enrolled in a college of the District
2. Student has submitted official transcripts and test scores.
3. Student submits a Request for Transcript Evaluation form to the College Evaluations Office.


  •  AP and CLEP examinations may be used to partially clear the American Institutions requirement. See catalog for details
  • The English composition requirement can be met by the AP exam. 
  • Credit will not be granted for equivalent courses completed.
  • Grades are not assigned, nor is the credit used in calculating grade point average.
  • Credit granted by SDCCD does not necessarily transfer to other institutions. Transferability of credit is determined by the receiving college or university. 
  • Credit awarded through non-traditional education may not be used for grade alleviation.
  • A maximum of 30 cumulative units may be granted for acceptable scores on any combination of AP, CLEP, DANTES, or IB.
  • Duplicate credit will not be awarded for nontraditional education sources and completed coursework.

Petition for Modification of Graduation Requirements

Any variation to major requirements for a degree or certificate must be approved by the academic department under which the major is offered.

Approved petitions are only applicable for majors offered at Mesa College.

Click here to view information on why and how to do a Modification of Grad Requirements.


  • An electronic Educational Plan must be on file. If you are unsure if you have an electronic educational plan, please see a counselor.
  • All transcripts from other institutions attended must be on file. **If you are submitting official transcripts with the petition, please be sure that the transcripts are in the original sealed envelope. Opened transcripts are not considered official.

Please note: Substitution = to replace a course required with another course(s). A minimum of 18 units is required for the major for all degree programs.

Procedures: It is highly recommended that you meet with a counselor to determine if you meet the eligibility and if a modification is necessary.

  • Obtain a Petition for Modification form.
  • Provide information requested on the form, including necessary documentation.
  • Obtain signatures from the Department Chair and Dean. Depending on the major, other signatures, such as from the program director, may be required.
  • Submit the completed form in Evaluations Office.
  • The Evaluations Office will determine whether all modification conditions have been satisfied.
  • Petitions to Waive a District GE Graduation requirement will automatically sent to the Academic Review Committee to be reviewed.
  • If the modification cannot be made, the student will be notified.
  • If the modification is approved, the necessary adjustments in the student's educational plan will be made by the District Evaluations Office.
  • Students will be notified regarding the approval or denial of the petition.

Please see a counselor for assistance.

Petition for Approval of Major-area Electives

This petition is only used for the Associate in Science and Certificate of Achievement in Business Management, the Honors Global Competencies Certificate of Achievement at Mesa College and for course selection when students are seeking multiple degrees.


  • Student meets with counselor to select appropriate courses or major electives.
  • The student and the counselor sign the Major Area Electives form.
  • The student takes the form to the department chair for approval.
  • The form is returned to the Evaluations Office.
  • The evaluator makes the necessary changes in the student's educational plan.

Petition for Exception to course repetition Policy

Students who believe that they have a compelling reason for an exception to a policy (i.e., any academic policy) may file a petition. There is one petition for exception to policy: Petition for Exception to Course Repetition PolicySee the Academic Review Committee page for details.

This petition must go through the Academic Review Committee process.

Request for General Education Certification

Students who need certification of completion of lower-division general education requirements for transfer to UC or CSU, must complete the Request for Certification. Request your certification via phone (619-388-2680), email (, or visit the Evaluations Office (I4-306, 3rd floor fo the Student Services building). Please complete the General Education Certification request form here.

Please refer to the General Education Certification page for the requirements and procedure.

San Diego Mesa College Evaluations Office | Room I4-306  

619-388-2680 |