Mesa Journeys





  • Student Services Building
    Fourth Floor, I4-410
    P: 619-388-2709
    F: 619-388-5989
  • Monday - Friday
  • *Office hours vary. Please call/email for an appointment or for inquires. We will return your call/email as soon as we are in the office.
  • Sasha Verastegui
    Adjunct Coordinator & Counselor


What is CalWORKs?

The California Working for Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs) is a public assistance program (welfare program) that provides cash aid and services to eligible needy California families that have a child(ren) in the home.

Mission Statement

San Diego Mesa College serves CalWORKs students and their families by providing educational and career opportunities combined with an array of high-quality support services that enable students to complete their educational goals, find meaningful employment, and successfully transition into the workforce.

Eligibility Criteria


  • Currently a CalWORKs recipient receiving cash-aid for themselves and at least one child.
  • Provide current cash-aid “Notice of Action” documentation from the county.
  • Be in good standing with Health and Human Services Agency (HHSA).
  • Be enrolled or plan to be enrolled at San Diego Mesa College at least part-time in a major that leads to employment.
  • Complete a San Diego Mesa College CalWORKs Program Application
  • Working towards one or more of the following:
    • To improve work skills
    • Certificate
    • AA/AS Degree
    • Transfer to a university

(You don't need a high school diploma or GED to participate)

CalWORKs students may also qualify for the CARE Program

Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education (CARE) is a program offered through the EOPS Program. CARE provides single parents receiving CalWORKs with additional support and services to enable economic self-sufficiency and an opportunity to attend college.

Who is eligible?

  • Current EOPS student at San Diego Mesa College who is also:
  • CalWORKs student or Parent of children receiving CalWORKs
  • Single Head of Household
  • Child(ren) under the age of 18
  • Be at least 18 years of age

How do you apply for Cash Aid/ TANF?

*If you are currently a student at our campus and not receiving TANF cash aid you can apply for benefits on the following venues:

  1. Contact the Access call center at #1-866-262-9881
  2. Apply online at San Diego County at
  3. Further support via-email at
  4. Contact #211 for questions or/and concerns for referral services
  5. Schedule an appointment for application assistance at
  6. Visit a Family Resource Center and apply in person; open up this link to upload all Family Resource Centers locations in County of San Diego at



  • Academic, Career and Personal Counseling
  • Student Educational Plan assistance
  • Priority Registration
  • Personal Development and Academic Success Workshops
  • Student Services and community referrals
  • Transportation, books, supplies and emergency cost assistance
  • Work study opportunity
  • Advocacy and Coordination with county Health and Human Services Administration

CalWORKs County Services and Requirements

CalWORKs students participating in an approved Welfare to Work activity receives supplemental services from the county that includes:

  • Textbook and supportive services
  • Childcare
  • Transportation
  • College Health, parking, and student ID fees paid